Can you hire a motorcycle with a learners permit?

The short answer is yes – however, it stands to reason that the types of motorbikes you are able to hire with only a provisional driving licence and Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) certificate.

The route to a full motorcycle licence is somewhat convoluted. You will begin with a motorcycle 75 – 125cc (Provisional Cat A1) driving licence, which is available for those aged 17 years and over, and valid until your 70th birthday. From there you will have to take your CBT, which is valid for two years and means that you are legally allowed to ride a learner motorcycle up to 125cc, displaying L plates. You are also not allowed to carry a pillion passenger.

The next step is to take your motorcycle theory test; once passed you have two years to pass practical test Module 1 – which consists of off-road specified manoeuvres – and Module 2, which comprises road riding, safety questions and an eyesight test. Once you have passed both modules you qualify for a full CAT A1 motorcycle licence, which allows you to ride a motorcycle of up to 125cc. If you are under 25 at the time of passing your test, your licence will convert into a full Cat A unlimited licence after two years.

However, if you are over 25, you can immediately undertake a Direct Access Scheme (DAS), which once passed, enables you to ride a motorbike that exceeds 46.6bhp.

Why would I want to hire a motorcycle when I only have a learners permit?

For many people, a rider training centre is ideal; access to motorcycles, ongoing instruction, regular sessions. However, for others, it may not always suit, usually due to time constraints, or you may have already had a decent amount of instruction but want a little more time on your own to build skills and confidence on a motorcycle.

By hiring a learner legal motorbike from Superbike Rental, you can simply hire and practice, safe in the knowledge that the bike you’re using is the best possible quality, thoroughly maintained and comes complete with fully comprehensive insurance.

In addition, if you are planning on going on a Direct Access Scheme soon after you acquire your provisional and CBT, the last thing you want is to have to purchase a 125cc to practice on – the chances are that you will be hankering for a much more powerful motorbike once you have completed your DAS. With Superbike Rental you can enjoy the best of both worlds – the flexibility and convenience of access to a 125cc motorcycle as and when you need it, without having to actually buy anything!

Here at Superbike Rental, we have three excellent learner legal motorcycle models to choose from: hp

Honda CBF 125 
Suzuki DR 125 
Yamaha YBR 125 

As with all of our vehicles, our learner legal motorbikes come with everything you need – fully comprehensive insurance, tax and the highest standards of maintenance, servicing and cleaning.

For further details about our fleet of learner legal motorcycles, please call Superbike Rental on 01277 366 602.

Added by: Mark Coventry

Superbike Brentwood


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *